Tips for Hot Summer Fun!
You know you’re in the dog days of summer when even the dog doesn’t want to sit outside!
We all long for the longer days of summer – especially through the most grey of winter days – but we need to be smart about having all of that hot summer fun.
Whether it’s grilling burgers, keeping up our exercise routine by running outdoors instead of the gym treadmill, or mowing the lawn we need to plan just as much for these activities like we plan the summer vacation trip. But these tips are a lot less time consuming!
Read more: Home Security While on Vacation
Home Security Solutions Basic Tips
- Never leave children or pets alone in the car.
- Check on the elderly who may need assistance keeping cool. It’s a wonderful way to be a good neighbor.
- Avoid exertion during the hottest part of the day. Seek shade during the midday hours (10 a.m. to 4 p.m.) when UV rays are strongest and do the most damage.
- Drink plenty of water –regularly, even if you’re not thirsty. And, while you’re at it try to limit sugary drinks which speeds dehydration.
- If you’re outside, wear appropriate clothing – including a wide brimmed hat to shade the face, head, ears and neck.
- Apply sunscreen. A SPF of at least 15 is recommended.
While kids love looking at bugs with a magnifying glass or a plastic bug box, most of us find the bugs more annoying than fascinating. They fly around our kitchens, crawl around the picnics and buzz around the deck lights. For the most part they’re pretty harmless and we just learn to move along with our activities – until they attack us.
Bug bites are not pleasant. When an insect feels in danger, it may bite or sting you in defense. A bite or sting injects venom into your bloodstream causing redness and swelling. Depending on the insect, the bite can trigger an allergic reaction in some people.
- For minor bug bites that only involve redness or swelling at the pain site, clean the wound with soap and water, apply ice to reduce the initial swelling and let the wound heal naturally.
- For uncomfortable itching, use an over-the-counter antihistamine or Calamine lotion.
- Resist the urge to scratch the affected area(s) to prevent causing an infection at the site.
Secure your Home With Shiver Security
Heat-related illnesses claim the lives of hundreds of people each year, so it is important to take precautions when working or playing outside during the summer time. Heat stroke is a serious medical emergency that is brought on by high-level exertion in extreme heat.
Heat stroke results from having an abnormally elevated body temperature. Heat stroke can occur when the ability to sweat fails and body temperature rises quickly. The brain and vital organs “cook” as body temperature rise to dangerous levels – often within in minutes.
Someone experiencing heat stroke will have extremely hot skin, and altered mental state, ranging from slight confusion to coma. Seizures can also happen. Getting rid of excess heat is crucial for survival. It’s important to not give the victim anything to drink. Call for emergency help immediately.
Heat exhaustion occurs when the body loses an excessive amount of salt and water. People who work outdoors – even athletes – are particularly at risk.
Symptoms are similar to those of the flu: severe thirst, fatigue, headache, nausea, vomiting. Other symptoms include profuse sweating, clammy or pale skin, dizziness, rapid pulse and normal or slightly elevated body temperature.
It’s important to note that uncontrolled heat exhaustion can evolve into heatstroke, so make sure to treat the victim quickly by moving the person to a shaded or air-conditioned area, give them water or other cool (non-alcoholic) beverages, apply wet towels or have them take a cool shower.
Plan for a home security to have safe and secure day enjoying the summer.
Shiver Security provides sophisticated security solutions in the Southwest Ohio and Northern Kentucky area. We are a local, family owned company whose goal is to provide the best customized security solutions for you and your family. For over 30 years we have dedicated ourselves to ensuring that each one of our customers has the peace of mind they deserve. What’s more, every Shiver Security system is designed specifically for your family’s needs.