Fire Alarm System Going Off
The trouble is the most smoke detectors can be triggered by high heat or when you’re using oil with a low smoke point such as olive oil.
One of the things you need to look for with a smoke detector in your home security system is to make sure that the one in the kitchen is not located near the stove. It should be a photoelectric alarm, not an ionization alarm. Photoelectric detectors are more sensitive to large smoke particles, which tend to be produced in greater amounts by smoldering fires – those that smolder for hours before bursting into flames (such as cigarette burning in a couch). Many times with ionized smoke/fire detectors atomized fats or even steam will be detected as smoke because these detectors sense small particles that are produced by hot, flaming fires consuming materials rapidly and that may spread more quickly (such as a grease fire).
Now that you know the difference in the detectors, there are still some simple ways a smoke and fire alarm system keeps going off while cooking.
- Most smoke/fire detectors have the capability to disable or “mute” the sensitivity of the alarm for a short period of time (usually 15 or 20 minutes). At the end of the mute time, the detector returns to full sensitivity.
- If you have a hood vent that goes outside, turn it on a few minutes before This will create airflow that will take the smoke out of the kitchen.
- Install a ceiling fan in your kitchen. While this doesn’t get rid of the smoke, you will have to open a window to allow air to flow before
- Use Canola oil. It has a low smoke temperature.
- Clean your detector regularly. The easiest method is compressed air (like you use for your computer keyboard). You can also use the soft brush attachment of your vacuum or a soft, dry paintbrush to clean the vents of the detector.
If your smoke detector goes off no matter what, you may want to replace it or contact a smoke and fire alarm monitoring and installation service.
Shiver Security provides sophisticated security solutions in the Southwest Ohio and Northern Kentucky area. We are a local, family owned company whose goal is to provide the best-customized security solutions for you and your family. For over 30 years we have dedicated ourselves to ensuring that each one of our customers has the peace of mind they deserve. What’s more, every Shiver Security system is designed specifically for your family’s needs.